Proven safe and effective
Due to its close proximity to the prostate,
the rectum is most at risk for radiation exposure. If you or your loved one has been diagnosed with prostate cancer and is planning to undergo radiation therapy, you may want to consider a Barrigel rectal spacer to help minimize potential short and long-term bowel complications.1
In an FDA clinical study, 98.5% of Barrigel patients had a significant reduction in radiation to the rectum.1
What is the benefit of reduced radiation to the rectum?
Through 3 and 6 months, patients with Barrigel experienced fewer short-term and long-term negative side effects than patients who did not receive Barrigel.1,2
Barrigel reduced the rate of complications, including1
In His Own Words
"I felt comfortable in having the Barrigel procedure, as its success rate shows very little chance of rectum damage which was a high concern of mine when considering radiation treatment for prostate cancer."
Barrigel is made from Non-Animal Stabilized Hyaluronic Acid (NASHA®). Hyaluronic acid is a substance naturally present in the human body and is highly compatible and fully absorbable. NASHA has a proven history of safety and efficacy in a wide variety of medical applications, including pediatric medicine.4
Barrigel is the ONLY rectal spacer made from a soft, sculptable gel which allows the implant to move naturally with the movements of your body. Throughout the clinical trial there were no complaints of pain or implant discomfort.1
- Mariados NF, Orio PF III, Schiffman Z et al. Hyaluronic acid spacer for hypofractionated prostate radiation therapy: A randomized clinical trial. JAMA Oncol. 2023;e1-e8.
- Data on file. Palette Life Sciences.
- MAUDE - Manufacturer and User Facility Device Experience. Accessed: September 08, 2023. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfmaude/search.cfm.
- Q-Med. NASHA- the Monograph. Uppsala, Sweden.
- Restylane® celebrates 25 years of natural-looking results with its signature line of hyaluronic acid fillers. 2021. Available at: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/restylane-celebrates-25-years-of-natural-looking-results-with-its-signature-line-of-hyaluronic-acid-fillers-301388779.html. Accessed Sept 30, 2021.